Monday, March 21, 2011

March is Reading Month, Tip #21: Read a Little More

Read a little more!

Now that the weather is warming up, baseball and bicycles are calling Fran louder than books after school. And clearly, there's room for all of that. So we've added some reading time in five or ten minute pieces. Fran has been reading while he eats breakfast on some mornings (especially when he wakes up before Miss C), catching a few minutes while I make dinner, and snagging a few more in bed at night. Chopping his reading time into smaller segments has made it seem more manageable. (And the log for March is Reading Month is a motivator for him.)

On her Preschool Days, Claude weasels plenty of stories from her teacher and also reads instead of resting. On home days, after playing "Annie," she and I have plenty of time for playing Zingo and reading as many wolf stories as we can find.

I squeeze in reading while I blow-dry my hair. It's a daily five minute reading boost. And I think we all know where Blaine reads (I'd consider this when loaning him a book); he plows through The New Yorker, Atlantic Monthly, and other periodicals. He gets in plenty of daily reading.

So throw a book in your bag- and read just a little more. Even just five minutes more.

No comments:

Post a Comment