Wednesday, March 16, 2011

March is Reading Month, Tip #16: Read Some Poetry Today

Read some poetry today!

I don't read poetry with my children as often as I would like, which surprises me because it is my one of my favorite things to teach.  I also get really crazy about pushing free-verse rather than rhymey-schlop.

But then I had this epiphany: kids like rhymey-schlop, they like clever poems, they like shape poems, they like acrostics (oh, the horror), they like poems that have things they can try and notice.  Poetry is about discovery.

 When I was six I could tap out the beats to "The Swing" by Robert Louis Stevenson.  When I was seven I thought Shel Silverstein had magical powers.  And as a teacher, I cannot imagine first grade without the glorious free-verse poetry of Little Dog Poems.

So today, I'll read more poetry- both on my own and to my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment